Fundraising Assistant, Mahabba Network, Derby
At a glance
£17,000 pro rata
The Mahabba Network is looking for a personable, organised, technology-literate individual to assist the Hub Manager (think Operations Manager) with fundraising applications.
You might be a student looking for a bit of work around studies; be interested in getting some experience in charity work or fundraising; or perhaps looking to serve our vision to see Muslims come to know Jesus.
If you are put off by the idea of fundraising, likening it to grovelling for money, think again. This is an opportunity to learn how to market and promote Mahabba, communicating the needs, benefits and the impact we can make with partners. The skills you will learn and employ are akin to those you would wield marketing in the business sector.
We are a relatively small, young charity, founded in 2012, but with a presence across the UK.
We help everyday Christians engage with Muslims by: facilitating opportunities to pray; increasing understanding of Muslims and Islam; equipping them to share Jesus with Muslims.
We have sown and planted 53 local Mahabba groups (at the time of writing), which gather local Christians from a variety of churches to pray and engage practically. This is the Network that we support and encourage.
We want to continue to engage Christians with the need to pray and share Jesus with Muslims. To do that we want to increase our revenue and ultimately establish a large support base of individual givers.
Who you will be working with
You will predominantly work with Simon, the Hub Manager, in The Hub office in Derby.
Our Hub is the focal point within the Network for admin, communications, finance and fundraising. Simon facilitates the central admin we need to exist as a registered charity, as well as maintaining the flow of communication with local Mahabba groups.
We try to keep things lightweight structurally to reflect our shape as a network, but focus on efficiency and impact to ensure we use what we have effectively. A lot of our tools and systems are cloud- and app-based, such as MailChimp, Donorfy, Google Apps, WhatsApp and Skype.
You will also cross paths occasionally with other teams, such as the Network Team (made up of our regional reps), local group coordinators and trustees.
We are blessed to share desk space with Community Church Derby and East Midlands Christian Fellowships. We also relate closely to other charities, such as Upbeat Communities and Welcome Churches, so the office is a fun, lively and vibrant place to work.
Responsibilities of the role
- You will work closely with Simon, create reports and send updates to him
- You will update the fundraising database, Donorfy, with grant applications
- You will help Simon prepare and write grant applications to trusts and foundations
- You will print, package and send off applications by post as well as by e-mail
- After training, and with ongoing support, you will call individuals to share news and ask whether they would like to support Mahabba financially
- You will help Simon with fundraiser e-mails via MailChimp, keep donor records up to date and engage with donors when they get in contact
- You will help Simon with sourcing stories of impact and text and image content for publications
- Depending on time and your aptitude, you may also help Simon with engaging our audience on social media
Requirements of the role
- Use customer relationship management (CRM) software to create reports on fundraising data for the management team on deadline
- Follow established workflows and processes to produce high-quality, branded materials to be sent out in a timely fashion
- Able to manage your time and work, balancing getting your tasks done with catching up with Simon and identifying ways we can improve
- Experience using or adapting to cloud-, app-based software for communications and administration, such as MailChimp and Donorfy
- You should be able to talk to and e-mail funders, donors and Mahabba people, using a warm, friendly and engaging style
- Able to receive direction on your work and then work independently, making it your own, solving problems and developing it in line with our overall objectives
Benefits of working with us
- Experience of fundraising for a Christian charity and operating in the evangelical, faith-sector
- Experience of working in an office environment with exposure to a range of practical tasks that can help you with your career progression
- Flexibility to arrange your work schedule to suit your other commitments, by mutual agreement with Simon
- An easily-accessible work location, ideal if you live in Derby or Nottingham
- Contact with colleagues from Community Church Derby and East Midlands Christian Fellowships and opportunities to interact with Upbeat Communities and Welcome Churches
- Opportunities to take on further responsibilities and work for the right person
Location & salary
- This is a fixed term project until 31 August 2018 in the first instance, and depending on further funding
- Location: The Riverside Centre, Riverside Court, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8HY
- 1.5 days per week, with flexibility
- £17,000 pro rata
12:00pm Friday 15 December 2017
w/c Monday 1 January 2018 TBC
Anticipated Start Date
w/c Monday 8 January 2018 TBC
- If you want more information or an informal chat with Simon, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office on 0300 302 0017
- Please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to Simon at email@example.com explaining how your skills and experience meet the responsibilities and requirements above, and why you would like to work with Mahabba Network
- Submit your documents no later than 12:00pm on Friday 15 December 2017
- Applications will be sifted and if you make it onto the shortlist, you will be called to interview
- The interview will likely consist of a short practical exercise and a panel interview, held in Derby