Joining the Family
‘Joining the Family’ is a six-session course to equip the church to ‘be family’ to new followers of Christ from a Muslim background.
Growing numbers of Muslims are choosing to follow Jesus Christ. They want to join Christ’s community, whether in British churches or in same-background fellowships.
We need to understand their needs, care for them and help them grow in Christ. And we want to learn from them.
The ‘Joining the Family’ course equips churches across the UK to meet this need. This is a ground-breaking initiative since nothing else like it exists.
The course comes on USB, so is ultra-portable, which comprises the sessions and video clips. There are also separate participant’s workbook and a facilitator’s guide to help run the course.
All in, church groups can easily run the course themselves without outside help!
What people are saying about the course
Joining the Family promo video
What resources are available?
The Joining the Family book
The Joining the Family course pack
The Joining the Family website
Where can I get hold of the resource?
To get hold of your copy of ‘Joining the Family’ for your small group or church, please visit the Kitab bookshop.
There are a number of materials that make up the ‘Joining The Family’ resource:
- Course Pack (£40.00) which contains everything you need to get the course up and running
- A Facilitator’s Guide (£9.99) for those leading the course with groups
- Participant’s Workbook (£9.99) for individuals on the course
- ‘Joining the Family’ Book (£2.99) which gives the background to the course
Why is ‘Joining the Family’ needed?
Today in Britain growing numbers of Muslims are choosing to follow Jesus Christ. They want to join Christ’s community, whether in British churches or in same-background fellowships. We need to understand their needs, care for them and help them grow in Christ. And we want to learn from them.
The ‘Joining the Family’ course equips churches across the UK to meet this need. This is a groundbreaking initiative since nothing else like it exists. The course comprises DVD clips, a participants workbook and a facilitators guide so that church groups can run the course themselves without outside help.
Who is producing this course?
The ‘Joining the Family’ core group comprises of cross cultural experts and believers of Muslim background (BMBs), church leaders and disciplers connected with several mission agencies.
The production is by Carfax Media, with help from Elam Ministries, and the resources are published by Interserve.
The teaching content comes from 25 interviews with believers of Muslim background and experienced mentors speaking from the heart.
How is the course designed?
Course objectives are for local church members to:
- Compassionately understand and explore issues that believers of Muslim background face, by listening carefully to them
- Be equipped to welcome, care for, disciple and ‘be family’ for these believers
- Consider how their church may be enriched through their insights, gifts and cultures
The course method combines film interviews with guided discussion in small groups. Each session ends with a practical learning activity to do before next time.
Course contains six sessions, covering the following topics:
- Journeys to Jesus (the testimonies of Muslims turning to Jesus)
- The Pearl of Great Price (the cost and joys of following Christ)
- Welcome to the Family (how local churches can ‘be family’ for these believers)
- A blessing for our churches (how we can benefit from what these believers bring us)
- Ambassadors for Jesus (believers relating to their Muslim families and communities)
Wherever possible these groups will include one or more believers of Muslim background so that others can learn directly from their insights and deepen the mutual friendships.
When will it be available?
Available now – find more information at www.joiningthefamily.org.